Submission for Video Auditions in San Diego
Open Video Auditions and Casting Calls in San Diego
How to Prepare:
Please submit a 2 to 3-minute video of yourself characterizing one of our show archetypes, as listed below. Slate yourself at the beginning of the audition video and provide your name and your selected archetype. During your video please tell us why you'd like to be a part of American Immersion Theater and a fun fact about yourself while characterizing your selected archetype. Archetype portrayals are expected to be believable, and hyper-realistic as our shows bring characters to life for customers to interact with. They are not intended to be "silly" or "slap-stick". As we perform within inches of customers, please avoid all "stage makeup" designed for 4th-wall performances.
When preparing for your video, please take consideration of details such as backdrops, costuming, and era/theme appropriate terminology. These details will be graded along with your archetype characterization.
Available Archetypes to Characterize:
- Old Rich Socialite
- Popular Crowd Highschooler
- Celebrity's agent
- Washed Up 80s Rock Star
- Mob Boss
- Old Woman (example Mob Mom)
- Captain of Football Team
- Femme Fatale
What to Expect after Submission:
- Once you have submitted your 2 to 3- minute archetype characterization audition video, an email will be sent to you letting you know your submission was successfully received. Please check your "All Mail" folder to ensure the email wasn't filtered into a promotions inbox or a spam folder.
- Once the Casting Director has reviewed your video submission, you will receive one of the following:
- An email thanking you for your submission, and informing you your information will be added to our candidate archives for later review. You will not be moving forward in the auditions process at this time.
- A phone call and email communication from our local director to schedule a callback for the next round of the audition process.
What age range do you cast?
Do I need to have improv experience?
No experience is required, but it is encouraged.
Do I need to be local to the San Diego area?
You should be located within a 25 minute drive of San Diego to be considered for the troupe.
Are you seeking union status actors?
No, only non–equity applicants will be considered.
Do you take walk–ins?
Yes, we do allot time for walk–in auditions, however we encourage you to sign up prior to save yourself some times and guarantee your spot.
Do you require a video audition as part of your casting calls in San Diego, CA?
Video auditions are not required if you are able to do a scheduled or walk-in audition. If you cannot make it to our San Diego location, however, you will need to submit a 2-3 minute video.
How does show scheduling work?
Actors submit requests for show dates based on their individual availability, with no show minimum required, cast is based on experience and availability.
If I sign up and do not receive a confirmation email should I show up to the time slot I selected on the website?
Yes. Also, check your spam or promotions folders because your confirmation email might be hiding in there!
Do you provide actors with costumes and props in performance?
Yes, however the actor may be required to provide some individual pieces.
What are we looking for?
We are on the search for actors who already have improv skills or are willing to learn them. We put on a wide variety of productions, and roles will rotate depending on availability of actors and experience. Actors perform a mixture of pre-scripted material and spontaneous improvisation.
We do both public and private shows, so an audience could be anywhere from eight people to eight hundred, and can be performed almost anywhere. We travel to do shows frequently, but do reimburse for gas when traveling. Most shows are on weekends, but we do get opportunities during the week. The beauty is that you pick which shows you want to do. As few or as many as you want!
A rehearsal ranging from 2-4 hours is required the week that you are scheduled for a show. With the exception of a single quarterly mandatory rehearsal, no rehearsal is more than 4 hours in length.
- Ability to deliver great customer experiences in a very active environment and the capacity to be invigorated by constant personal interaction
- A high ability to focus and learn new skills while facilitating game dynamics
- Excellent communication skills that allow you to converse as freely and comfortably with small groups as with individual customers
- A strong presence and ability to command the room
- Observational savvy and quick thinking
- Reliable transportation
What are the advantages of Acting with AIT?
Actor pay ranges from $65–150 per show (depending upon cast roles). Additionally, you can earn show tips, free meals, and travel reimbursement, which means no out of pocket expenses.
All actors undergo our exclusive Grimprov training method focused on increasing improv performance skills and techniques for immersive theatre acting
Be a part of the over a hundred AIT shows a year in the greater San Diego area, based on your schedule, with no show minimum required.